Child Sponsorship: Does it Really Work?

The following was taken from my previous blog posted in 2013.  To learn more about Compassion International, read below and visit www.compassion.com. Follow along for regular, future posts about Compassion International and child sponsorship.

Have you ever wondered if child sponsorship even works?  Maybe you're already a child sponsor, are thinking about it, or don't even know what I am talking about, but I think each of us would want to know if the organization or program we are investing our money in is actually making a difference.  More than 9 million children around the world are a part of some kind of child sponsorship program, whether through Compassion or another organization, with more than $3.2 billion dollars being invested annually in these programs, so I think it's wise to know if they are even making an impact.  I'll be honest, when I signed up to be a Compassion sponsor I didn't really have a firm grasp of who Compassion was or what they were about, other than that I would be playing a part in serving the poor and helping a little girl have an abundant life in Christ.  However, over the past few years and experiencing the work of Compassion in person overseas, I can tell you Compassion is who they say they are and the results of child sponsorship are pretty remarkable in comparing children who experienced it and those who didn't.

compassion-trip-3.jpg

A recent study was done about the effectiveness of child sponsorship by Dr. Bruce Wydick, professor for the Department of Economics at the University of San Francisco, focusing on adults who grew up in poverty and went through the Compassion sponsorship program and those who did not.  The results showed “. . . that children who participated in Compassion’s holistic child development through the sponsorship program stayed in school longer, were more likely to have salaried or white-collar employment and were more likely to be leaders in their communities and churches than their peers who did not participate in the program.”  Through a sponsor's monthly contribution, Compassion children receive food and clean water, ongoing Christian training, educational opportunities and assistance, health training and medical treatment, social skills and self-confidence development, and key life skills and vocational training.  One reason these programs are so effective is because of the regular audits that are performed for Compassion's different country offices and for program evaluation.  Compassion has received the highest 4-star ranking 11 consecutive years from Charity Navigator, with 80 percent of every dollar spent on their child sponsorship programs and the other 20 percent going to administration and development.  I believe a big a part of Compassion's success is definitely their financial integrity, which has made them a trusted charity since beginning over sixty years ago.

You can read more of Dr. Wydick's research here,  I hope after reading you will be convinced that Compassion is trustworthy and their programs are truly being used to "release children from poverty in Jesus' name."  To sponsor a Compassion child, visit here!

Compassion International | www.compassion.com | Sponsor Today!

Sarah Chelf

Lifestyle photographer in Fort Worth, Texas specializing in natural lighting and on-location photography.